Cinnamon is one of my favorite spices, they can give a boost of flavor to any meal and on this case desserts. Of course when you think of cinnamon what comes to mind is the holidays, cinnamon shine most in the fall but today I am sharing this recipe for a spring inspired cake.
Swiss Meringue Frosting has been one of my go to, I love how soft it is making it easier to pipe, and frost any dessert. I also enjoy how it looks when piped. The regular buttercream was my go to frosting many many years ago, specially since it held the shape so perfectly but to be honest it can be so sweet.. This recipe is not that sweet what comes through is the buttery taste and cinnamon as your spice.
Tip – Using a good flavor extract can reduce the butter flavor but If you dont mind the Butter flavor on this type of frosting a regular vanilla extract will do.
Swiss Meringue Frosting
5 Egg Whites (room temperature)
1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
4 Sticks of Butter ( I used salted)
1 tsp Flavor Extract ( I used Vanilla)
1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- On a stove place a pan with water to simmer
- In a separate clean bowl add egg whites and sugar
- whisk the ingredients and place the bowl over the simmer water (make sure water doesnt touch the egg mixture)
- this can take about 8 – 10 min until it reached 160 or you can see is softer, silky and when it comes to the touch it sticks easily to your fingers but you dont feel any grains from the raw sugar.
- remove from heat and add your egg mixture to a mixing bowl and with a whisk attachment mix for about 3 – 5 minutes until it forms a glossy nice peak on medium speed.
- before adding the butter touch the bowl and meringue you want to make sure is room temperature
- now is ready for the butter – Add the cut butter a little at a time, while it still mixing (this will take a few minutes)
- let it whisk until it has a nice glossy look
- add extracts mix and is done, ready to use.
The frosting is a lot softer and easy to pipe but also easy to decorate for a smooth finish. Here is a cake fully decorated using this recipe.
Print Cinnamon Swiss Meringue Frosting Recipe